Register for updates to stay up to date about all upcoming training and events.
About the Program
The aim of Orientation to the South Australian Gambling Sector is to provide an introduction for new entrants to this sector, or workers in other sectors seeking to learn more about this issue.
This is a FREE and easily accessible online learning program funded by the Office for Problem Gambling and hosted on the Australian Institute of Social Relations learning management system. This program will be updated each year to ensure the currency of information provided.
Learners will gain knowledge about:
- Gambling and “problem” gambling in Australia and South Australia
- Impacts of gambling harm to individuals and families,
- Key stakeholders and their roles
- Recognising gambling-related harm and the importance of screening
- Responding to people experiencing problems in venues and services
- Recovering from gambling harm
Who can participate?
No pre-knowledge or work experience in the gambling sector is required.
The program has been specifically designed for those entering or working in any facet of the Gambling Sector as well as workers in other sectors seeking to understand more about gambling problems in order to identify clients affected by these issues in their services. However, this introductory program is accessible to anyone with an interest in the area of Gambling and problem gambling.
It contains films of professional commentaries by industry stakeholders, an in-venue scenario tracking the escalation of gambling activity, with observable indicators of possible problematic behaviour, and lived experience stories.
The program is organised into three modules, each with clear learning outcomes and specific topics. It is interactive involving audio slides, videos, and quizzes.
The program has approximately four hours of material. While it is intended to be viewed in sequence, you can move around it as you choose. As on online program, you can work through the topics at your own pace.
This program is FREE.
Program at a glance
- Start at any time and work at your own pace
- 3 Modules; 8 topics
- English captions
- Certificate of completion upon completing the course
If you do not find the delivery of this online learning accessible, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss alternatives.
- Module 1: An Overview of Gambling and Gambling Harm
- Module 2: Understanding Gambling Harm and its Impacts
- Module 3: Recognising and Responding to People Experiencing Gambling-related Harm